04 February 2009

Solomon's Song

I read the Song of Solomon (a book in The Bible) yesterday and just thought it was beautiful...as beautiful as the spontaneous conversation that put me on to this book in The Bible. The whole book is basically a love song that Solomon wrote to his Beloved. This part that I really like is the Beloved's (Solomon's Number One) discussion of a dream she had, during one of the periods of separation that they experienced. Here it goes in the New International Version:

Song of Solomon 3:1-5

1 All night long on my bed
I looked for the one my heart loves;
I looked for him but did not find him.

2 I will get up now and go about the city,
through its streets and squares;
I will search for the one my heart loves.
So I looked for him but did not find him.

3 The watchmen found me
as they made their rounds in the city.
"Have you seen the one my heart loves?"

4 Scarcely had I passed them
when I found the one my heart loves.
I held him and would not let him go
till I had brought him to my mother's house,
to the room of the one who conceived me.

5 Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you
by the gazelles and by the does of the field:
Do not arouse or awaken love
until it so desires.


For Real, this passage is so AMAZING to me...I think it's beautiful and poetic and speaks on the human Love that you can't really find a story about anywhere else in the Bible. Song of Solomon might be one of my new favorite books in the Bible. I read the Bible to learn, but learn how it can be applied or compared to a situation that I may be experiencing. My Mom always said "There's nothing new under the sun." So I figure, the Bible is probably the best guide to navigate through all the madness.

Enjoy.

Peace&Much Love, of course,
Jessalaine :)

SIDENOTE: Right now, I'm listening to "Let's Get Lifted" by John Legend...and I think it's quite appropriate in relation to this post. and "Show You How" by The Killers followed....ha. Love that song...it's a great song.

No comments: